Apple Is No Longer the Most Expensive Company in the World


Apple cost more than a trillion dollars in September. But now, it costs only $700 billion.

On August 1, 2018, Apple published a financial report that turned out to be better than analysts had predicted, and the Company had risen in price to a trillion dollars for the first time in its history. At that time one share of the Corporation cost $207, but investors did not even think about stopping: they raised the value of its share up to $232 by the end of September.

Since then, Apple shares have been falling steadily. In late November, the iPhone manufacturer cost $812 billion, and it was superseded by Microsoft, the most expensive company in the world. At the beginning of 2019, Apple’s capitalization fell down to $700 billion, and Apple let Amazon and Alphabet (Google) take the lead.

There are many reasons for the fall in Apple shares including those ones that the Company could not affect.

The main reasons are as follows:

1. Too sharp growth in shares in previous quarters. It was like a “bubble” that was supposed to burst.

2. A US trade war with China. Most Apple products are produced in China – it means that they can be included in the list of goods subject to additional sanctions at any time.

3. US dollar strengthening. The higher the USD value, the less (in USD) Apple gets on sales abroad.

4. The slowdown in the Chinese economy growth. This reduces the demand for Apple products.

Yes, Apple shares fell down by a third, but most analysts are confident that the Company will be all right. It still has a huge safety cushion of funds earned in previous years (more than $200 billion), and it still generates a profit.

49% of analysts still recommend buying Apple shares, the remaining 51% recommend holding existing ones, and no one recommend selling them. This may be low figures for Apple (63% of analysts recommended buying Apple shares in August), but in general this means that there is no need to fear a further fall in the long run.

About the author

InvestorGreg Editorial Team

InvestorGreg Editorial Team

The InvestorGreg Editorial Team is a group of financial writers and analysts who cover the worlds of finance and investment. Read more

Recommended Financial Products

A household name, Fidelity has always been known to be a reputable investment firm. In our Fidelity Broker Review, we will examine some of the pros and cons of this broker as well as the fees charged by the broker.
Charles Schwab
Charles Schwab has been one of the leading full-service brokers for decades. They have more than $3 trillion in client assets and there are more than 10.5 million active brokerage accounts.
ETrade is a broker that has long been at the forefront of online trading. They made their first online trade in 1982. Let’s take a look at the broker offering and see if they are right for you.
Vanguard Brokerage, an excellent choice of broker for low cost longterm investment. The broker offers the lowest expense ratio for index funds and ETF's.

Full list of recommended

Suggested For You

Hyundai Motor Net Profit for 2018 Decreased Almost 3 Times JAN 26, 2019 The net profit of Hyundai Motor, a South Korean automobile manufacturer, in 2018 decreased by 2.8 times compared with 2017 – to 1.65 trillion KRW (1.5 billion USD), follows from the Company’s report.
Samsung Announced the First Decrease in Profits in Two Years JAN 14, 2019 Samsung Electronics, a South Korean company, divulged a forecast of financial results for the fourth quarter that distressed investors. The Company’s operating profit fell down by 29%.
Tesla Made a Loss of a Billion Dollars and Dismissed its CFO FEB 1, 2019 Tesla published a report on the results of the 4th quarter and the whole 2018. During the quarter, the company earned a profit of $139 million and unprecedented revenue of $7.2 billion.
Panasonic Net Profit for 9 months Decreased by 13% FEB 5, 2019 The Net Income of Panasonic Corporation, one of the world’s largest manufacturers of household appliances and electronics, attributable to shareholders, for the first three quarters of 2018-2019 financial year (which completed on December 31) decreased by 13% and amounted to 173.7 billion yen (about $1.6 billion), as was mentioned in a press release.
JD Buys Back Shares on Amount of $1 Billion DEC 30, 2018 announced on Wednesday, December 26 that its Board of Directors approved share buyback program on amount of $1 billion, equivalent to about 3.5% of the Company’s market capitalization.